Tuesday, January 5, 2010

words.

     Well look at this! Another blog! So I have just been hanging out at my house, slowly unpacking. I’m not doing it all at once because I need activities to keep me busy! 2 nights ago there was a wedding in the room attached to my house. I was the weird girl watching from behind the curtains. It was loud. Oh yea so my house! There are double doors I use as an entrance and those go to the sitting room. This room is where I eat and stare at walls too. The walls are brick so there are no pictures or anything. I just zone. I have a little cupboard with my food and dishes and there are pictures taped on. To the right there is a hallway with a western toilet and douche to the left and a western toilet and douche to the right. The bathroom on the right also has a door to the outside and at the end of the hall there is a door out too. To the left of the sitting room is this really tiny room that has a single bed in it and a mosquito net I put up, ya know, in case someone visits! Connected to that room is my bedroom with my nice full bed and princess mosquito net with Mickey Mouse sheets that don’t fit. I have some clothes hanging on a nail in the wall and a cupboard shelf thing for clothes and toiletries. There is a door to the outside in my room but I closed it off because really, how many doors do I need?! Outside I have a room that should be used as a kitchen but right now it just has my bags and boxes. I don’t have any furniture for that room and I don’t want to leave my food on the floor so I’m just waiting. My walls are all turquoise, besides the brick ones, and the doors are all blue. The windowsills are painted green and I have the butt ugliest curtains. It’s pretty great! One of my bathroom windows won’t close and the most obnoxious spiders have been coming in. Honestly, they are HUGE. They could be small frogs. For real. Of course they scare the shit out of me so I have to hunt them till they’re dead. Its great. They jump too. The other night I moved a bucket to get one and there was a lizard chillin too. I’m like really?!


     Yesterday I had a date to go to the market with a Rwandan who works at the school where I will be teaching. We planned to meet at 9 so she showed up at 945, just as a man who is going to put screens in for me came to measure. We were all on the road by 1045 and literally walked 40 minutes uphill and got to the center of town I guess it is. Or maybe the district center? Seriously, it is BEAUTIFUL where I live. I have taken a few pictures and will upload when I can. There isn’t a cyber anywhere near me and it’s expensive to do it from my own modem. But anyway, the view is breathtaking. It is SOOOOOO green it’s really unfathomable. And I am on top of a mountain so I overlook a lot of land. And the lake! So we walk to the center where I’m told I can buy whatever I need. I just wanted to get some bread, flour, bananas, eggs, screen, nails and a hammer. Nobody had much of anything! It was super frustrating and I left with screen, eggs, and nails. I am told Mondays and Fridays are market days so maybe it was just bad timing? I’m not sure but it was definitely an experience. Watching The Hangover made things better. Today was nice but maybe it was because I spent the day with myself and didn’t leave my yard. Haha. I had breakfast, did emails, hung all these really cute pictures on my wall with my nails and a lock. You should see me on this chair beating nails into my turquoise walls with a small metal lock I bought for my trunk. The pictures look nice though so that’s exciting. It was pretty sunny so I sat outside for awhile (with sunscreen!) and then had lunch, and have been reading The Tipping Point. I was visited by 2 dogs, which is super rare considering I have seen like 3 dogs total in Rwanda. One could be related to my dad's dog Sydney but he is super skinny and has a bunch of thorns in him. A girl came along too, also skinny but may have recently given birth...I did see a puppy running around the other day. Now it’s raining and I’m writing. Tomorrow I have to wait on the road for that never coming bus to go to Rubengera. A friend is meeting me and she’s in Kigali so she is bringing me yogurt and cheese! VICTORY! Still have a leaky water filter with a bucket of brown water though. Eeek. Saving that till I absolutely have to take care of it. Jeff arrives in 13 days! WEEEOOOOOWWW! ☺

4 comments:

  1. melt some m&m s, dip in the spiders...pure protein. Then you can go on survivor when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember i babysat for the casting director?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SoOo exciting!!!
    Your home sounds nice and very blue!!! Really cool that you have such an awesome view!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man spiders!!!! Eeeek. Your house sounds cool though mags.

    ReplyDelete