Tuesday, March 16, 2010

fml

I have wireless internet and plenty of time so here’s another. Plus, I like my new green background. I went to the doctor last Wednesday and he said yea my tibia is fractured. Then he told me where it should hurt, and made me squeal. He also asked if I would teach him English even though his English was good, and I don’t live in the capital. I kept saying no, and he said, “ So you’re telling me you aren’t going to teach me English?” That’s right doc. Glad we got that settled. I was told 4 weeks in a cast, but was able to bargain down to 3 because I don’t want it in Asia with me. I went to another guy and got this big ass Dodger blue cast. He informed me “Blue is for boys.” Umm…okay. They sent me away without crutches and I awkwardly hobbled to the car. But, I was able to walk and wear sandals. Every time I got up the cast slid down and dug into my ankle and hurt badly enough that I wouldn’t be moving around at all. We went back to King Faisal Hospital (featured in some genocide movies) and met with the guy again. He said he could add another cast on the foot and I said okay pink. He said you cant have pink and blue! But I just figured, I already look like an asshole I might as well get the most obnoxious color. He kept saying no and I asked if he had pink the day before, and he said yes but that he liked blue. After much weird arguing about MY cast, he gave me an entire new pink one because thas more logical than trying to add a 2nd bootleg one just on my foot. That’s how I ended up in hot pink. I had to go back and have part of the foot cut because I couldn’t step down at all and could only use crutches. I continued to stay in Kigali until Friday and had a very unsuccessful attempt at a bath. I ended up almost falling with my wet sandals and had to yell for a friend to come help from down the hall. Ridic.

dont worry, this is tonka with her fake injury.


Peace Corps gave me a ride to my site on Firday to grab some stuff and then took me to Kibuye. Bugsy came and met me for a quick snack and my neighbor said he has missed me very much. I am sad I am not there to feed him. ☹ 20 people came to Kibuye last weekend for 2 birthday parties. It was chaos with so many people here trying to sleep and live. Too much. But everyone thinks I should stay here because I’m a gimp and can’t get food on my own. So, I am in Kibuye, right on top of Lake Kivu. I have wireless internet, a kitten with ringworm, and a room full of buzzing mosquitoes. I hate sleeping here, but it is probably better than being alone. I got 4 packages since my arrival, 3 from my stepdad and 1 from Nick and Kari. Got lots of awesome goodies!!! Thanks guys. Mark (on of the guys I'm staying with), started a March Madness pool. It's called 'Maggie is Disabled. And Mean. Bless her heart.' Nice roommates huh?

1 comment:

  1. haha you are so yourself and i love you! feelin the green too!

    ReplyDelete