Monday, November 30, 2009

mbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Oh I haven’t written in a week! I wish it was because I was crazy busy everyday with exciting stuff, but mostly just had a lot of language class. Thanksgiving was surprisingly awesome. There was really bomb mac n cheese, stuffing, some avocado corn combo, bread, cranberries, potatoes. 6 turkeys, green bean casserole and a ton of desserts ranging from fruit pies, to banana cake things to crepes with chocolate sauce. Everything was delish! And to drink? Warm Guiness. We all dressed as nice as we could and I didn’t even take pictures! I brought my camera, but was so focused on the food! After that, dance party at the kitchen house of course. I snuck back to my room and watched season 1 of Prison Break that Jeff sent in the mail. I finished it in 4 days I think and it was really good and really exciting to watch “tv”.

One afternoon we had a reception at the model school where we taught and it was pretty awkward, much like everything else we do. We heard we would be served Fantas, but we sat around for a half hour staring at each other in desks made for kids. We watched some girls dance, then heard a speech in Kinyarwanda, then watched more dancing, pounded a Fanta each, ate (or not) goat brochettes and potatoes, had more Fanta, more dancing, bowed our heads in prayer and then everyone boned out.

Friday was a Muslim holiday (I don’t know the name) and the volunteers from Mauritania wanted to celebrate so they collected money from whoever wanted a meal and Saturday went and bought 2 goats. They hung our in our backyard for almost 2 hours where I took pictures of them and tried to feed them grass. They were pretty anxious and one of them was hopping all around like a kangaroo because his front legs were tied up. I hated even seeing that. Then the time came for the slaughter, which I couldn’t not watch. I hated every second of it, but it’s all part of my experience here and even if I’m not eating meat, half the world is and animals are dying regardless. So I had to look at the situation objectively and I just realized this isn’t something I see everyday so I stuck it out. It was a horrible sight with horrible screaming sounds. After all that, I didn’t stick around to see anything more and went to my room with bread and peanut butter. Check facebook for pictures. I just spent 42 minutes trying to upload 2 pictures on here just for it to not work. lame. 


Yesterday was a nice relaxing Sunday, as most Sundays are. My laundry was done but still hadn’t dried for 3 days because it kept getting rained on. Nothing smells like tide around here. I read a bunch and then I supervised while people did some Christmas decorating in our room! One of my roommates was sent a tree with mini ornaments so 2 people decorated that and then 3 people made snowflakes! There is even one with Jesus’ face. The snowflakes are hanging on our windows and from the ceiling. I am sure I will upload a picture eventually. To show my support, I made hot chocolate sent from Singapore and merrily hummed along to the Christmas music. It was really nice. Today I found a Christmas sweatshirt at the market which reminded me so much of my grandma I had to get it. Plus, if there is a Christmas party I will surely wear it. It is red with a brown teddy bear outlined in puffy paints and has some décor around is neck. Its great. 3 more weeks and then swear in, then Christmas, then site! Woooooo! 


care package from john.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good meal, you were missed here in Texas and evrywhere else. Keep your head up and we will talk later. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i love that you "supervised" us kids playing with decorations.
    thanks for the cocoa! it capped the afternoon off perfectly. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, got this ugly xmas sweater party next week, and wondering if i can borrow your teddy bear sweater you just purchased. :)
    take pix. post. missing you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and then everyone boned out." I fuckin love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Mags! Glad you had a good Turkey day :)

    ReplyDelete