Friday, November 13, 2009

TONKA

Friday the 13th. Don’t think the Rwandans have a clue. Had classes all day and moved centers because ours got sold right under our feet! Manual labor was awkward, because we are white, and today, we were white carrying lots of stuff.


our new center

A girl in our group who has been playing basketball at a nearby court organized a game against some Rwandans so we went to a school with a nicer court and played. The Rwandans were late of course. Africa time is nothing to joke about because literally, you wait. And wait. And wait longer. About 10 of us played against each other and then against the Rwandans. Man were they quick! We looked pretty sloppy out there. It didn’t help that the ball had a tumor and the court was made of bricks, so I would dribble and it went somewhere else. It was still a lot of fun and very funny. One of them had an O’Neal jersey from the Heat, and someone else had a Stoudamire jersey from the Pistons. One guy had a marching band jacket that said CCHS. I like to think that means Culver City High School, but I can’t be certain. I went and looked at it up close and he informed me, “from America.” I thought to my self, “yea, no shit guy.” It was from 1994! BUT, an even better shirt I saw today was on a little boy and all it said was TONKA. Ahhh. Of course I didn’t have my camera, as I was just dropping a letter at the post but I definitely stared at him long enough that it was awkward. It made my day for sure.

Tomorrow I am headed to Butare with a couple other girls who are changing money. I am buying some booze and cigarettes for some people, and probably some Tang for myself. Did you know they have orange and mango flavors? Yea. One of our language teachers is having a birthday party tomorrow so everyone is planning on getting shitty. The boys are making fondue, French fries, onion rings, and someone mentioned a mini burrito of some sort…not sure about the last thing. But it should be interesting! Hopefully the homemade meal goes over better than the one on Halloween.

This is just random for the people out there who enjoy the sun and like to tan like me. Rwanda is hot and very sunny most days. We are right on the equator so its really strong. My nose has been peeling since the first or second week here and yes, I’ve been wearing sunscreen. During our breaks, I often sit on the cement in the sun trying to soak it up and at least have an feet. People, Rwandans AND the Americans I am with think I am crazy! 2 girls even told me they have NEVER laid out in their lives. It hurt my heart a little bit. Can you believe that? ( by the way, mup says “imagine” instead of can you believe that? And he says it ALL the time! “…imagine”) Never laid out. That is just craziness. 

6 comments:

  1. get shade for your nose..more than sunscreen..obviously you've heard of skin cancer

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will be certain to send some deflated balls...soccer, basketball, volleyball...anything i can get my hands on. imagine playing basketball with a tumored ball? like how i used "imagine"? love the cchs shirt story. if it was blue and white, then be certain it was good ole culver city. shall i send you the culver tourney t-shirt with titos as the sponsor and the soccer ball instead of the volleyball? that is a pretty classic tee. i bet you some rwandan would LOVE that thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, rainy totally beat me to the basketball post. was going to send a deflated one your way! way to ball those rwandans up though! kinda reminds me of the movie "The air up there" with kevin bacon. If you happen to play against some 6'4 black girl who can move send her my way!
    -Also...we're getting sweatshirts and shirts and crap on the 20th I hope. 2009-2010! can you believe it? I ordered extra so I'll send one your way if you would like!

    miss ya mags. so does bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea i want extras kelly! bailey giney! awww. rain, could job on "imagine". when i asked for an example of what you would say that to, he said something about someone beating his wife. awkward. titos shirt? sure! ill take anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Titos tacos is famous in culver city magoo...our whole unit used to get titos every sunday nite while we did paperwork

    ReplyDelete
  6. dad. no shit. im not the biggest titos fan one, and 2, i was referring to the awkward shirt they gave us at the tourney. but thanks. :0) now send me pictures of tonka.

    ReplyDelete