Tuesday, November 10, 2009

rainy, here is your shout out.

So I didn’t see any large squirrels. Saddest day. I did see a few chipmunks, and a monkey with a face like a gremlin, so we’ll call that my squirrel. The visit to the rainforest was very cool. It was quite expensive considering the amount of time we were actually there, but if it goes towards conservation then I’m fine with the price. The trip getting there was actually really cool. I had a window seat for a 3 hour drive and Rwanda is really a beautiful place. There are so many hills with such lush greenery you wouldn’t believe it’s Africa. Where I am in a small town it is dirt roads, and people carrying stuff on their heads. But back to the car ride. The potholes were OUT OF CONTROL. It was like we weren’t even driving. We were creeping along at a snail’s pace and it was sooo bumpy even people with strong stomachs were carsick. Surprisingly I wasn’t, because I get carsick on the 405.We went on a nice little hike through a rainy, super muggy rainforest. I suppose that’s how they all feel. Saw some monkeys so that was cool but I really want to save some money and do the gorilla treks. I heard those are where it’s at. Stopped in Butare on the way home and bought some more Tang and Pringles. And some cookies. They sure get your money at that place but I like to think its being well spent.


I am in week 2 of model school which is definitely not my favorite thing. Being observed is so awkward and it is hard teaching another language. Not having a grammar book to go off has been a bit frustrating but even worse is half the kids not having notebooks or pens to write with. You wonder why they don’t understand when they don’t have notes. Jeff booked his flight here and I am sooooooooo excited! Having something to look forward to is definitely a huge help during the rough days. I get excited if I know I have a letter coming! I have sent like 10 letters and I have only heard of 1 arriving to Beach Mex. Go figure. Right now I am sitting at the internet café balcony watching some people arguing and OH! They started fighting...just a little though. There are 12 people crowded around trying to stop it. Yesterday, while sitting in the same seat, a man was yelling at someone because he thought he stole something. While yelling, he kept waving the 2 rocks in his hand. I secretly wanted him to throw them. I have to go to language class. Thrilling, I know. I dread it most days because I sound like a tool. Hope everyone is swell. 


my walk to town.

3 comments:

  1. secretly wanted him to throw them?? really?? where's the mouth filter..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the shout out. don't really know how the post related to me however. maybe the fact that you were in a RAINforest? must be. or maybe that you heard that the gorilla trek is "where it is at"? thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throw the rocks? I bet he can't throw the rocks like you throw eggs.

    ReplyDelete