Thursday, November 5, 2009

tonka! squirrel!!

     Halloween was okay. It was funny being dressed as twins with Mup. People got a kick out if it for sure. Someone in our group tried to help the kitchen staff with food and decided to make chili. It was unbearably spicy. Most people couldn’t eat it which was funny since everyone was drinking so it was the one night we really needed all the food. Talent show was entertaining. Party at the center ended around 10 and so it moved over to our living room. I had a headache a good part of the night and retired early to finish Twilight, the movie. So I gave in and I liked it. Geez. Sunday after Halloween was super unproductive and we all watched movies. Crowded, in our room.
     This week we started model school which has been interesting. The Peace Corps sought out like 150 kids for the school and we ended up with 500. People so badly want their kids to practice English as much as possible that they walk pretty far just to come. They are on vacation til January, so at least these kids are the ones who seem to want to be here. Its hard going into classes with a lesson plan that is either way too easy or way too hard for the group of kids. We have no idea the level they are at so I kinda just walk in and hope for the best. It’s been okay so far. I have a burper in one class who makes me smile since I burp ALL the time. It’s funny how it’s not a distraction to the other kids. They don’t notice. Or the nose picking. But the kids try for the most part so that is good. Yesterday a boy told me, “I live in a large house that is small.” I just smile.



     This weekend we are going to the National Park which has squirrels the size of monkeys! I wish so badly Tonka could come and share with them her hatred of squirrels. I am so pumped to see these! That’s just craziness. Went to Butare with another volunteer so he could a get a modem and I could just go. I splurged and bought Tang powder to add to the oh so delicious filtered water. I also bought Pringles for a ridiculous amount and didn’t like the flavor so that had to auction them off between 2 roommates.
     Today is malaria pill day. Bring on the dreams. 2 nights ago I woke up with my sheet around my neck. Sweet. Some people are on site visits with current health volunteers for a few days. I got a text from one of them last night that is too good not to share: “A priest, a school director, and a volunteer walk into a bar. Long story short- a kitten died and I’m drunk on a cement floor.” I’ll leave that with y’all to ponder because I don’t know what it means.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie,
    I didn't know malaria pills caused crazy dreams! Do you guys have to take them every week the whole time you're there? that's nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Magoo, Tonka saw wild turkeys today and she hates them too. She does'nt care for the deer either.

    ReplyDelete