Tuesday, October 27, 2009

best.day.ever.

Well, today was undoubtedly the best day I’ve had in Rwanda and it’s only 10:05 am. I bought a modem this weekend that wasn’t working, so our training director arranged for the Peace Corps driver Alphons to drive me and an LCF to Butare to get it fixed or return it. We were supposed to leave at 7, but due to a jam shortage we left a little later. I had my buttered bread with eggs and the 3 of us were on our way. Butare is only a 30 minute drive so I should have been back in time for most of my first class, a cross cultural session with a guest speaker. Anyway, the car we are driving in is like an old school landcruiser and the backseats are 2 bench seats facing inward. I had my seat belt on but still face forward a bit so I don’t get car sick. I saw a bigger truck on the right side of road and then BOOOOM sooo loud in my ear the truck hit our side mirror and window and door! I was like OH SHIT. The truck, with 3 teenage boys kept going up the dirt road it turned on and our driver reversed and boned out after them. They boys kept looking back and the driver was trying to lose him but obviously not happening. The driver of the truck stops and jumps out and starts running up the dirt hill! I am like HELL YEA this is classic! So then our driver jumps out and is right behind him but then the other driver turns into the fields and bushes and Alphons lost him. So Alphons just gets in his truck and drives it down the road. I am like what the hell is going on? Hit and run=take the other person’s car??  By the way, this all happened at 7:59 am and there are like 50 people crowded around watching all of this, half the eyes on me, the muzungo. SO bummed I didn’t bring my camera! The actual owner of the other truck came and I guess the driver didn’t have a license and that’s why he took off. He was trying to convince Alphons to just say he was driving the truck but Alphons said no. I imagine because there are a ton of witnesses and he’s driving a freaking car that says Peace Corps. No reason to lose his job for some other guy. Claudine, the other lady we are with goes to Butare, about 10 minutes away by mototaxi to get the police. A motocop comes, but can’t do anything and leaves. So Alphons and I drive with the truck owner to Butare, go to the MTN store and fix my modem while the dude waits in the car, then we go to the police station and drive the officer and owner back to crash site. Of course on the way to the site a rock got deflected from workers on the side of the road and put a crack in the windshield. Alphons and I just look at each other and start laughing. He must think I’m bad luck. So, I am now at the site, sitting in the car just waiting. I was told the Peace Corps was like this. You will hurry hurry hurry and then wait. And wait. And wait. I don’t think they meant in these circumstances, but this is comical to me. Alphons, the officer, and the owner are going thru everything right now but the best is the 27 men surrounding them like they have anything to do with it. And yes, I counted. Not sure where Claudine went because haven't seen her in like 2 and a half hours. Wish I had pictures of the crowd earlier.  Oh well. I teach my first lesson this afternoon! Even if I bomb, today was great. J

2 comments:

  1. what a twisted sense of humor..luckily everyone and everything turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The African, " sit around a wait " ...for everything ....can really work your noodle. I remember a street Riot in Nigeria when a Police Officer slapped a Taxi Driver and everyone revolted against the Officer....taxi man turned around and said " Get out and run ! "....adrenaline rush for sure. Glad you are ok ! Good luck with the lesson !

    ReplyDelete