Monday, October 26, 2009

gnarbones...literally

     Had a busy weekend which was both nice but also draining. I like staying busy so I’m not thinking about home and whatever else but I am always down for a lazy day off too. Saturday we took our Volcano buses to Butare and went to the National Museum (boring) and then went to Murambi genocide memorial and it was super intense. From what I understand, Butare was always a place where both ‘races’ could live in peace and so many people fled there for safety. Butare ended up having one of the highest amounts of people killed. So, at this memorial there were some 50,000 people there that are preserved in lyme (sp?) and there for people to see. It was awful. All the people were in the same position as when they died and I mean there are no word to describe the sight. There were so many skeletons of little kids and then a room that just had a bunch of skulls neatly lined up and piles of bones. The smell almost made me throw up so my dry heaving took away some of my emotions. But it was just crazy to see. It is hard to imagine that the world stood by and let something like that happen.
     On a lighter note, Sunday was supposed to be free day but I went to my host family’s house around 10 am to prepare food for lunch. When I get to site I can now successfully prepare green beans, carrots, rice, and French fries. That’s a good enough start I suppose! I was there for about 4 hours and Noella played more music videos. They are SO random from Shaggy to Avril Lavigne to Alicia Keys to Kinyarwanda rapper to High School Musical. Definitely enjoyable.


This week I start teaching in the model school that was set up for training. Pretty pumped. NOT. I still feel very unsure about what I’m doing as far as writing lesson plans so it should be interesting to say the least. I figured I should sign up for the first group and just get it out of the way. Pray for me! I'm mortified to do what I came here to do. Perf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment