Saturday, October 31, 2009

happy Halloweeeen!

 Today is Halloween. It is also umugande here in Rwanda which is once a month community service that is mandatory for all Rwandans. We went to the school where we will be teaching around 8am and helped with building of the school. It was us carrying a lot of dirt basically but still enjoyable. It rained on and off and at the end the mayor gave a long speech which we didn’t understand but mentioned us because we got a lot of stares in the crowd. He also mentioned that men should ask for our phone numbers because we would make good wives. All the stores are closed during umugande and reopen around 11. We are having a party tonight at our center where we have classes and there is going to be a talent show. Yesterday I went with our training director, Mupemba to the market to find a costume. Neither of us had any ideas so we just bought matching outfits. To find 2 pretty similar shirts at a market of hand me downs was pretty clutch. We have matching orange skirts and then found 2 similar polo shirts that are blue and red striped. The shirts don’t fit either of us. Then, he was looking at Obama watches and got us matching ones. They are HUGE. Pretty awesome. A few people have purchased Obama jeans here also. He said, “Twins! Like Arnold Schwarzanegger!” His stature is more like Danny Devito though. Hehe.


Pricked our fingers the other day and learned how to make slides for malaria tests. Turns out, people REALLY hate needles. Got my second package that I packed yesterday which was exciting, minus the fact that I didn’t pack food! I don’t know what the hell I was thinking but I got my blanket with Tonka and Tommy on it so that made me happy. Friday also marked the end of micro teaching which was nice but Monday we start teaching big groups of kids. I really wouldn’t mnd if there weren’t people sitting in the corner observing and taking notes. Also found out that Jeff is coming in February and I couldn’t be more excited! I will be at my site by then and have my own place. Apparently, when I get to site I should say I am married or engaged because people will literally try to make you a wife of someone and present men to you. Awkward. Plus, don’t want haters for having a boy spend the night. I am so excited and think the countdown will be a nice thing I can look forward to and not be sad here. My room turned into Twlight mania and I finally caved. There is an Edward posted above one girl’s bed which I think is hilarious. Jana, you would love it. That’s all for now. Party tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Trick or Treat! Hi from your second Mom! I am so very impressed with your writing skills Sister M! All is the same here......So very thrilled you are doing good deeds..............I miss you and you know that I send all my LOVE! xo Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie!
    I hope you had a fun Halloween! We missed you here! Also, Jeff got my personal vote for "best costume" on Saturday. Stay tough over there! xoxo- Katie G

    ReplyDelete